RESOLUTION TO ADOPT THE CITY OF RENO MASTER PLAN AND REPEAL THE EXISTING MASTER PLAN IN CASE NO. LDC17-00023.
WHEREAS, the Reno City Council desires to create a master plan to promote the public health, safety, morals, and general welfare of the community; to guide the conservation and utilization of natural resources; to advance housing that meets the needs of the community; to facilitate adequate provision of public services and facilities; and to provide economic and social advantages gained from the comprehensively planned uses of land and resources; and
WHEREAS, changing conditions necessitate preparation of a master plan which addresses the current and future needs and goals of the City; and
WHEREAS, Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) 278.150 to 278.235 (Establishing Procedures for Adoption and Amendment of Master Plans by Commissions and Governing Bodies) provide the authority and general subject matter and procedure by which a Master Plan is prepared; and
WHEREAS, the City Council in 2014, engaged a consulting team to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the existing Master Plan, prepare a community profile outlining trends and forces facing the City of Reno, engage a broad spectrum of the community in developing a vision for the future of the City of Reno, analyze future demand and needs for housing and employment, analyze economic development opportunities, evaluate the fiscal impact of growth scenarios, and engage the community in review of the draft Master Plan; and
WHEREAS, Between April 2015 and October 2015, the City Council sought input from the community with respect to a future vision, values and preferences for the City of Reno and engaged over 5,800 participants; and
WHEREAS, Between April 2016 and August 2017, the City Council sought feedback from the community regarding draft components of the Master Plan and engaged over 3,100 participants in community review of the draft Master Plan; and
WHEREAS, Between March 2016 and September 2017, the City of Reno Planning Commission held nine public meetings and three workshops to discuss the draft plan and land use map;
WHEREAS, Between January 2016 and September 2017, the City Council held six public joint meetings with the Reno City Planning Commission on the draft plan and land use map; and
WHEREAS, the Reno City Planning Commission, on October 18, 2017, approved Resolution No. 07-17 adopting the City of Reno Master Plan and repealing the existing Master Plan (subject to conformance review by the Regional Planning Commission), and has recommended that the Council make the determinations required by law and adopt the City of Reno Master Plan;
WHEREAS this Council has held a duly noticed public hearing on ______________, 20___ as required by NRS 278.220;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Reno City Council:
1. That upon recommendation of the Planning Commission and in accordance with NRS 278.220 and NRS 278.230, based on the written and testimonial information presented to it, this Council determines that the Master Plan may be applied to the development of the city for a reasonable period next ensuing and will serve as:
(a) A pattern and guide for that kind of orderly physical growth and development of the city which will cause the least amount of natural resource impairment and will conform to the adopted population plan, where required, and ensure an adequate supply of housing, including affordable housing; and
(b) A basis for the efficient expenditure of funds thereof relating to the elements of the Master Plan.
2. That this Council hereby ADOPTS the following elements that constitute a comprehensive, long term general plan for the physical development of the city as the Master Plan of the City of Reno, subject to conformance review by the Regional Planning Commission:
(b) Citywide Policies
(c) Area-Specific Policies
(d) Growth & Reinvestment Framework including land use designations;
(e) Implementation Plan;
3. That this Council hereby REPEALS the existing Master Plan if the foregoing elements are found to be in conformance with the Truckee Meadows Regional Plan.
4. That this Resolution be forwarded to the Regional Planning Commission for a determination that it conforms to the Truckee Meadows Regional Plan.
5. That the Master Plan adopted hereby shall become effective only if and when the Regional Planning Commission determines that it conforms to the Truckee Meadows Regional Plan.
Upon motion of Councilmember _________________________________, seconded by Councilmember _________________________________, the foregoing Resolution was passed and adopted by the following vote of the Council:
APPROVED this _____ day of ___________________, 20____.
Hillary Schieve, Mayor
Ashley D. Turney, City Clerk
LDC18-00023 (Adoption of City of Reno MP and Repeal of Existing MP) - cc resolution - SKR.doc